Cannabis brands looking to build a dispensary website should consider which type of technology is best for their cannabis ecommerce setup. There are two major types of cannabis websites. Those made with Iframe Technology and those built with a native ecommerce platform. Both website types have pros and cons that business owners must understand before hiring a cannabis web development agency.
iFrame vs. Native Ecommerce:
In the cannabis industry having a strong online presence is crucial for success. One of the key decisions cannabis businesses must make is choosing the right website technology to showcase their products and connect with their audience. Two popular options are iFrame technology and native ecommerce technology. We’ll compare these two approaches, highlighting their differences and similarities to help you make an informed decision for your cannabis website.
iFrame Technology: Enhancing Your Website with External Content
iFrame technology involves embedding external content within your website. Essentially, an iFrame is a window that displays content from another website while still appearing as part of your own. In the context of a cannabis website, iFrames can be used to integrate third-party applications, such as online menus, reservation systems, or event calendars.
Advantages of iFrame Technology:
- Easy Integration: iFrames allow you to integrate third-party tools without extensive coding. This is especially useful for cannabis businesses that want to quickly incorporate advanced features without building them from scratch. Synching with Metric becomes extremely more effective.
- Versatility: You can incorporate various functionalities seamlessly, even if they’re not natively supported by your website platform. It’s easier to make updates and manage a site built with Iframe technology.
- Reduced Development Time: Implementing iFrames can save time and resources compared to developing custom features, as you’re leveraging existing tools. You can get an iframe website up in one-two weeks depending on your website designer’s experience and workload..
Disadvantages of iFrame Technology:
- Limited Customization: While you can integrate external tools, customizing the appearance and behavior of these elements might be restricted by the external source. You will have to build a front facing site in order to make it consistent with your brand.
- User Experience: iFrames can sometimes cause a disjointed user experience, as the embedded content may not blend seamlessly with the rest of your website. Iframes can cut into your conversion rates by adding too many clicks and menus.
- SEO Implications: Content within iFrames may not be as easily indexed by search engines, potentially impacting your website’s SEO performance. They receive little to no technical SEO support.
Examples of Iframe – Dutchie
When it comes to integrating iFrame technology into your cannabis website, “Dutchie” is a prime example of a popular and widely used solution in the industry. Dutchie is a comprehensive online ordering platform specifically designed for cannabis dispensaries. Let’s explore how Dutchie utilizes iFrame technology and how it can benefit your cannabis business.
Dutchie offers dispensaries the option to embed its online ordering system directly into their websites using iFrames. This means that customers can browse products, place orders, and complete transactions without leaving the dispensary’s website. The integration is seamless, allowing for a consistent brand experience while leveraging Dutchie’s advanced features.
Benefits of Using Dutchie’s iFrame Integration:
- Streamlined Online Ordering: With Dutchie’s iFrame integration, customers can easily explore your cannabis products and place orders directly on your website. This convenience can lead to increased sales and customer satisfaction.
- Real-Time Inventory: Dutchie’s integration provides real-time inventory updates, ensuring that customers see accurate product availability as they browse and order.
- User-Friendly Interface: Dutchie is known for its intuitive and user-friendly interface, making it simple for customers to browse products, view details, and complete transactions.
- Mobile Compatibility: As more users shop on mobile devices, Dutchie’s iFrame integration ensures a mobile-responsive design, allowing customers to order from your dispensary seamlessly on their smartphones or tablets.
- Customization Options: While using an iFrame limits some aspects of customization, Dutchie provides options to match the look and feel of the iFrame to your dispensary’s branding to maintain a consistent visual identity.
- Advanced Features: Dutchie offers a range of features like loyalty programs, automated discounts, and integration with point-of-sale systems, enhancing the overall customer experience.
Considerations and Limitations:
While Dutchie’s iFrame integration offers numerous benefits, it’s important to consider some potential limitations:
- SEO Impact: Content within the Dutchie iFrame may not be as easily indexed by search engines, which could affect your website’s overall SEO performance. Your domain is unable to boost its authority.
- Limited Customization: While you can match the appearance of the iFrame to your brand, you may have less control over the finer design details compared to a fully customized native solution.
- Third-Party Dependency: Using an iFrame solution like Dutchie relies on the stability and updates of the third-party provider. Any changes or issues on their end could potentially affect your website’s functionality.
Native Ecommerce Technology: Building a Seamless Shopping Experience
Native ecommerce technology involves using platform-specific tools or plugins to create a fully integrated online shopping experience directly on your website. For a cannabis business, this could mean a dedicated online store where customers can browse products, add items to their cart, and complete transactions—all without leaving your site.
Advantages of Native Ecommerce Technology:
- Consistent Branding: Native ecommerce solutions allow for seamless branding integration, providing a cohesive and professional look for your online store.
- Enhanced User Experience: Customers can shop for cannabis products without disruptions, leading to a smoother and more engaging shopping experience.Improve your conversion rates and increase the effectiveness of your online store.
- SEO-Friendly: Native ecommerce solutions are typically optimized for search engines, ensuring your products are more likely to appear in relevant searches. Get an enormous SEO boost and dominate your competition.
Disadvantages of Native Ecommerce Technology:
- Development Complexity: Building a native ecommerce platform may require more initial development effort compared to integrating iFrames.
- Limited Third-Party Integration: While many native solutions offer various features, integrating specific third-party tools may be more challenging.
- Maintenance and Updates: Ongoing maintenance and updates are essential to ensure the security and functionality of your ecommerce platform.
Dutchie Plus: Elevating Your Native Ecommerce Experience
“Dutchie Plus” is an advanced version of the Dutchie platform, offering a comprehensive native ecommerce solution for cannabis dispensaries. It goes beyond the iFrame integration we discussed earlier, providing an entire online store experience directly on your website. The scope of this project is high and will likely require you to out-souce to a cannabis digital marketing agency.
Key Features of Dutchie Plus:
Native Integration: Dutchie Plus seamlessly integrates into your cannabis website, offering a fully native online store. Customers can browse products, explore details, and complete purchases without leaving your site.
- Branding Consistency: With Dutchie Plus, you have complete control over the design and branding of your online store. This ensures a consistent and immersive brand experience for your customers.
- Enhanced SEO: Native solutions like Dutchie Plus are designed with search engine optimization in mind. Your products and online store are more likely to rank well in search engine results, driving organic traffic to your website.
- Customizable Features: Dutchie Plus provides the flexibility to tailor your online store’s features and functionalities to meet the specific needs of your cannabis business.
- Mobile Responsiveness: Dutchie Plus is optimized for mobile devices, ensuring that customers can easily shop for cannabis products from their smartphones or tablets.
Considerations and Limitations
- Complex Website Development: To build a wordpress dutchie plus website you will likely need to outsource the project to a cannabis website development agency like Rank Really High.
- Costly Project: To build the platform in house would cost a few hundred Gs. Outsourcing would be far cheaper, but also a hefty monthly expense for the upkeep and maintenance. You would also still need to set up digital marketing channels to drive traffic to the site which would also add to the cost.
- Long Development Time: Building a native ecommerce website from scratch would take months of development time if you have an experienced team. It will take a month or two just to outsource it as well.
Conclusion: Making the Right Choice for Your Cannabis Website
In the realm of cannabis digital marketing, both iFrame technology and native ecommerce technology have their merits. The choice between the two depends on your specific business needs and goals.
If you’re looking to quickly integrate external functionalities such as menus or reservation systems, iFrame technology offers an efficient solution. However, keep in mind potential limitations in customization and SEO optimization.
On the other hand, if you prioritize a seamless and branded online shopping experience for your cannabis products, native ecommerce technology might be the way to go. While it requires more initial development effort, it can result in better user engagement, improved SEO, and a more integrated customer journey.
Ultimately, your decision should be based on a careful assessment of your business requirements, technical capabilities, and long-term objectives. Whichever technology you choose, remember that the goal is to provide a user-friendly and informative platform that enhances the overall experience for your cannabis customers.
Need a Cannabis Website?
If you choose to build a cannabis website using Iframe like Weedmap and Dutchie you will need a strong branded front facing site to embed your menu. Dagga Digital Marketing specializes in building beautiful websites that will capture your brand’s essence and provide high level user experience for your customers.
If you want to focus on a native ecommerce solution then we would recommend that you work with us and Rank Really High to not only build a top tier technical SEO powerhouse, but also craft a strong SEO strategy to maximize your ROI on your native wordpress site.
No matter what technology is best for your business, we are here to help you build a cannabis website that will convert sales for you, and we can also help you build a strong digital marketing strategy to optimize your entire brand online and grow your cannabis business. Book a consultation with us today to get started on your cannabis website.